Information from Pedler Family History – City of TTG Library & Settlement to City – Ian Auhl
William Pedler 111, arrived in Adelaide in January 1838 on board the ‘Royal Admiral’ with his wife and four children, the fifth child Nicholas was born in Leigh Street Adelaide on 21-5-1839.
William who was a ‘Cordwainer’(shoemaker) by profession, sold boots and shoes to teamsters who were carting ore from Burra mines.
In 1845 he purchased ½ an acre of land at Magill.
On the 17th January1853 William Pedler 111 – received a land grant of 66 acres – 2109 – in the Hundreds of Yatala valued at L168. There he built his family home ‘Trevalsa’. This farm was on the western end of Cobbler Creek nearer to Salisbury. He leased sold and bequeathed the property to his sons.
Darius worked on the farm with younger brother Nicholas while their brother William 1V was gold seeking in Victoria. Darius and his bullock team would rest between trips to and from the copper mines and the Port Adelaide smelters. On the way he took orders from and delivered boots to miners and people on local station properties.
After spending fifteen months on the N.Z. goldfields, Nicholas returned to ‘Trevalsa’ and married Eleanor Barnett in 1866.
The Pedler family also owned a Little Para River. This property consisted of thirteen acres, on which were planted 300 to 400 citrus trees. This was sold in 1950.
The Pedler family home ‘Trevalsa’, was on the Western end of the creek subsequently named Cobbler Creek.
See also Cobbler Creek