Extracted from the Gully Grapevine August 2005
Looking at the street directory pages relating to the City of Tea Tree Gully is like looking at a `who’s who’ of the early settlers of the district. And there’s a story behind nearly all of them.
Roads, where they ran to and on whose property, and which ones received government funding caused major debates and sometimes confrontations in the early days of the district.
Therefore, it is only fitting that so many are named after their main advocates.
Milne Road – named for Robert Milne who built the impressive Georgian mansion Drumminor (now part of the Harrison Funerals estate.) Mr. Milne was an innovative farmer who was one of the first to use fencing wire and build catchment dams. He was also the first chairman of the then newly formed District Council in 1853.
Tilley Drive – named for the Tilley family who had been farming in the Golden Grove area from the 1850s. Members of the family were to be involved in local government from the early days, right up to the 1970s.
Tolley Road – Douglas Tolley established vineyards at St Agnes around 1891 with what started as a hobby rapidly becoming a thriving business. The name Pedare also comes from this family and originates from the first two letters of each of Mr. Len Tolley’s sons who were named Peter, David and Reg. Pedare was used firstly for a boat, then vineyards and now of course, it is used for the school in Golden Grove.
Anstey Hill – named for George Anstey who had arrived in the colony in 1838 and taken up land at Highercombe in 1842. So passionate was Mr. Anstey’s interest in building a road that served his property at Highercombe, he formed a ` Para and Chain of Ponds Road Committee’. After a colourful career in public life, Mr. Anstey sold his interests in South Australia and returned to England .
Kelly Road – Robert Symons Kelly arrived at Port Adelaide in 1839 and was to become chairman of the Tea Tree Gully Council in 1860. He was to give Modbury its name when he named firstly the little settlement on his land and then the hotel he constructed, after the village he knew in England .
There are many other roads named for prominent citizens of course, including Crouch Road , Smart Road , Haines Road and Golden Grove Road.
Gaskmore Way – this road in Dernancourt is named after Gaskmore Park which was a significant property in the area owned by Alexander McDonald.
Keithcot Farm Drive – the son of Henry Tilley (whose farm was called Hillcott after his native village in Wiltshire) called his farm Keithcot as his son Keith, was in his cot when they moved in. Early settlers obviously could have a nice sense of humour and whimsy!
Surrey Downs _ obviously named after Surrey Farm. Apparently, the suburb of Surrey Downs was named (at least the story goes) because it was just down from Surrey Farm!
Haines’ Perseverance Road – it took William Haines 18 years of lobbying, persuasion and probably connivance, to get this road built. The whole length of the road was hence known as Haines’ Perseverance Road although now it is split into Haines Road and Perseverance Road .
Hope Valley – named by William Holden after fire destroyed his home. Instead of being distraught it is said that he felt nothing but hope for the future.
Golden Grove – the name applied originally only to the house and farm of Adam Robertson who had named them after the last ship he had commanded. The name was taken up firstly for a school and church then the local post office and then ultimately for the whole suburb.
Note Although Adam Robertson is often referred to as “Captain” Adam Robertson, to date no evidence has been found to confirm his title as Captain.